DCJazzPrix Submission Guidelines
Deadine Extended: Wednesday, March 11 at 11:59 PM
The DCJazzPrix is an annual competition that brings together standout talent from around the world for a night of unforgettable performances. Unlike other performance-based contests, the DCJazzPrix puts a great deal of emphasis on the essential interactions between band members and recognizes these relationships as the core pursuit of the jazz aesthetic. Jazz, blues, R&B, and bounce bands from around the world are encouraged to apply.
Three finalists will be chosen by a prestigious and well-qualified jury to compete at the 2020 DC JazzFest in front of an enthusiastic audience in their pursuit of the Grand Prize of $15,000. The winning band will begin a year-long association with DCJF to include: extensive publicity; customized business development and career impact services; a (paid) New York City engagement in the 2020/2021 season at Tribeca Performing Arts Center (TPAC) as part of TPAC’s annual Jazz In Progress Young Artist Series; and a highly visible 2021 DC JazzFest engagement with commensurate compensation.
DCJazzPrix program is made possible by the generous support of The Leonard and Elaine Silverstein Foundation. The DCJazzPrix award is made possible by the generous support of Conrad Kenley, Linda and Michael Sonnenreich and the Galena-Yorktown Foundation.
- What You Need to Know
- Call for applications goes live Wednesday, November 6, 2019, and is available online here.
- Digital-only streamlined application process.
- Low registration fee ($49.00, forty-nine US dollars).
- Eligibility criteria that includes global citizenry; band size (2-8 instrumental or vocal members); age parameters (18-42 as of March 11, 2019); and open repertoire.
- Primary review criteria to include artistic excellence as evidenced by digital work sample of applicant’s recent performance(s), true evidence of a working band, and a value of the perceived career opportunity and relationship with DC Jazz Festival for the applicant.
- Band personell stability is stressed, membership of the band may not change once the application is submitted.
- Band may combine any instrumentation including strings, voices and winds formats and/or percussion, voice and technology.
- Applicant bands may be affiliated or housed within music school departments or categorized as 'stand-alone/self-contained' and/or professionally emerging ensembles.
- Application deadline is Sunday, March 11, 2020, at 11:59 pm EST.
- Finalists will compete during the 2020 DC JazzFest: June 20, 2020. Finalists will be responsible for transportation to DC. Hotel rooms will be provided.
- The DCJazzPrix winner will receive a $15,000 cash award, year-long professional assessment benefits including career strategies, a (paid) New York City engagement in the 2020/2021 season at Tribeca Performing Arts Center (TPAC) as part of TPAC’s annual Jazz In Progress Young Artist Series, and a paid main stage engagement during the 2020 DC JazzFest.
- Past winners include Cornerstore (2018), the Amp Trio featuring Tahira Clayton (2017) and New Century Jazz Quintet (2016).